A blog tour is a great way to get the word out about your book. For today’s post I want to talk about when to do a blog tour. In general I think every time can work for a blog tour, but there are some timings that work especially well. So I am going to talk about some of those best moments for when to run a blog tour.
Best moments for a blog tour
I think the following moments are all great timings for a blog tour:
- Around Release Day. Let’s start the most obvious one. Around release day is a perfect time for a blog tour. This way you can have it add to the new release hype and other activities you have going on around then. I’ve run tours shortly before release days, around release day and most commonly starting on release day. The majority of the tours that authors book with me are tours around release days.
- Around a temporary discount or free days. Another great time for a tour is around a temporary discount or free days. The blog tour can help bring exposure to your book during the sale or free days and help spread the word about the sale. If you’re going for this timing for a tour, I would recommended making sure you have a graphic advertising the sale, preferably in square format so it works well on social media too. This is the type of tour I see most often after the release day timing tours.
- For a perma free or cheap book. While doing a tour for a temporary discount or free days works great, a blog tour can be helpful for a perma free or cheap book as well. If you want to put the spotlight on one of your perma free or cheap books a blog tour can work well for this and bring more exposure to your book page.
- When a series is complete. When a series is complete is also a great time to do a blog tour as this way you can showcase your complete series. There are some readers who really like complete series, so it’s definitely worth promoting that fact.
- When you have a (longer) break between publishing books. When you have a period of time when you don’t publish a new book for a while or have anything else going on like a discount it can also be a good time for a blog tour. This gives you something to post about on social or in your newsletter and sends some visibility to your book or series during this time when you don’t have much going on.
- When you have a new cover or blurb. When you have a new cover or blurb is also a great time for a blog tour. This way you can get the new cover or blurb in front of readers and send some visibility to your book.
- Anytime. I think anytime you would like a visibility boost for your book or series can be a good time for a blog tour. One of the main results you can expect from a blog tour is increased visibility. Make sure to know what your plan is and what you’re hoping to get out of the blog tour. Doing a blog tour during a time you don’t have anything else going on also works well or if you want to create extra visibility for a series before the next book releases.
I also would advice to communicate to the tour organizer if you have wishes timing wise or if you have a discount going on during the tour as they might be able to put extra emphasize on this. I always like to add an extra note to my media kits when I know the author has a discount going on, so people know the book is discounted.